Monday 7 October 2019

New Year, New Unit

I moved house in May this year and I decided to hold off finding a new Brownie unit until now so I would have time to settle in to my new routine and the new area. I got in contact with the local Division Commissioner through a friend and she pointed me towards a unit which was desparately in need of an extra pair of hands. The leader who has been running it lost her second leader a few years back and has been struggling with the admin side of things a lot, although she is a very good leader and all the girls love her. The unit currently meets on a Monday night from 5:00-6:30 but I am going to join a local orchestra on Mondays and 5:00 is too early for me to be able to get home from work for so it has been suggested that the unit move to Tuesdays from 5:45-7:15 after half term so that it can stay open. Most of the parents seem to be on board with this, and there is even one girl who can no longer make Mondays but can make Tuesdays so she doesn't need to move unit.

I have been along to two halves of meetings so far (the absolute earliest I can arrive is around 5:35) and have thoroughly enjoyed myself so far. The unit has 18 girls of a variety of ages and they are all really nice. In the first meeting, they all got to tell the unit what they had done during the summer holiday and then they played a game of Dodgeball and a game of Ladders. In the second meeting, they made loom band bracelets as there were lots of the bands left in the cupboard. Some of the older girls made fancy looking ones, and I helped some of the younger ones make a simpler kind.

The unit is really nice and I am going to look forwards to helping run the meetings - it will be nice to be able to put my own twist on how to run a meeting eventually. I am also going to help teach the other leader about the new programme - we have a few Skills Builder cards which are borrowed from District which we are going to make a start on and then try and slot in some of the UMAs too.

And you can look forwards to this blog picking back up again, starting with pack holiday with my old unit!

No comments:

Post a Comment